Friday, September 10, 2010

Worcester

I arrived in Worcester on Tuesday afternoon after deciding to spend an extra day in Edinburgh. I "trained" down though Birmingham, and then missed the first connecting train out as I was sitting idly by at the station at which I had arrived. I did not know I had to change stations until I noticed my departure train was not coming up on the electronic departure boards, so I had to up my 30kg of goods and hot-foot it down to Moor St station.

Claire met me at Worcester Forsgate Station, and after some muddle we found each other. We both thought I had got off at the wrong station (Shrub Hill), but I hadn't. It was a day for station confusion.

First things first, we went for a run along the canal. She had to stop and walk with me several times - I became somewhat weak and light-headed. Quite clearly I was dehydrated and hypoglycemic after not enough rest, food and drink. When we got back to her flat I made short work of the ginger ale and orange juice in her fridge. Claire then cooked me a huge steak, and we polished off a bottle of red wine reminiscing until about 1.30 am.

I did not sleep much that night, being a regular insomniac which made the next day a bit harder. But I did like our drive through the Cotswolds and the visit to Blenheim Palace. After a beer at a 1000 year old pub she insisted that she cook me dinner again so I could save my pounds for London.

The conversation this time centered around life in South Africa. She told me about "pockets of excellence" juxtaposed upon a difficult, expensive and dangerous life. She told me of a number of mutual friends and acquaintances that had been murdered, raped and seriously attacked. Some those, well those that were still alive, chose not to leave, and seem to accept that that is how life is. Claire herself was threatened at gunpoint on one occasion as well. This takes me back to answering the question I am so often asked "did you regret leaving?". As always, the answer is "I do not regret leaving, I only regret that I had to leave".

It was lovely to see Claire again after some 18 years. And I think when I did see back then we did not have time to talk and catch up. Our lives went separate ways about 20 years ago when I left good ol' Maritzburg. I hope I see her again before another 20 years are up. Thank you my friend for your wonderful hospitality.

So after a morning visiting Worcester Cathedral, and wondering around the village, I have climbed back on the train, and write this headed for Paddington Station. I've discovered you don't see much from the train, but I am pleased to be heading through Reading and Bath. I didn't use my last day pass for this trip preferring to pay cash, in order to keep it available for one of my four days in the London area. The big question I am wondering about now is "will I see a bear at the station?"

No comments:

Post a Comment