Friday, September 10, 2010

The Cotswolds and Blenheim Palace

After a short discussion about what we should do yesterday (Claire had taken the day off work), I said I wanted to see the Cotswolds, and Claire persuaded me that Blenheim Palace was the best palace to visit in the country. I can't say I even remember hearing about its existence, but was happy to take her word for it.

We whizzed throughout the Cotswolds and I took most of my photos through the car window. Claire knew how far we had to go, and had opted to take me along the routes she regularly cycled as they were quiet and scenic, but not the shortest. We happened upon an old estate house which is now a hotel. It's name escapes me, but rumour has it that Hitler had identified it as his residence once he had invaded England. We did a drive by photo shoot, and it was indeed fit for a Fuhrer. Thank goodness for Sir Winston, and everyone else of course. The irony of course is that Blenheim Palace was the birthplace of Winston Churchill. His uncle was the Duke of Marlborough, and WInston grew up in the most amazing surrounds, both in terms of beauty and history. He had an acute awareness of the previous 1000 years of history in the area where he was born and this must have certainly given him a sense of purpose and destiny so evident in his leadership. I cannot think of a more compelling example of why the study and understanding of history is so important.

The grounds are truly amazing. I have never seen such a big lawn, nor such a big garden pond! It would have been better to be there in spring or autumn. The leaves were just starting to turn, and I felt like staying around for a few more weeks. There were some lovely roses in the rose garden and I captured a picture of the most perfect Peace rose I have ever seen.

Inside the palace was spectacular. The palace is built out of yellow sandstone, which has not stood up well to the weather. However it has not degraded inside. The wall murals are up to 300 years old and still in pretty good shape. The rooms are filled with hugh portraits, one I estimated to be 5 by 7 metres - that's quite a lot of painting to have to do!

We went on the 40 minute upstairs tour which chronicles the lives and stories of 11 Dukes (or Duchesses) of Marlborough. It started fairly dramatically with a scene that depicted the first Duke, John, getting caught red handed by the King with the King's mistress. Nevertheless, he survived to win a crucial battle and earn the gratitude which lead to the building of the palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment