Monday, September 13, 2010

London is intoxicating

Julie-Anne had sent me, with her Oyster card, down the tube with instructions to jump off at Charring Cross. I duly did so, and simply followed the signs that said "Way out". Well, I wasn't prepared for popping out right at the foot of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square. I gave up holding back the tears. So many school lessons, so many family and friend's photographs, and all of a sudden I was there, and it was just as I had imagined. Although I knew the pigeons were long gone, they seemed to be missing. Here I was, in London.

Let me back track a little. On Thursday I left Worcester, somewhat less precisely organized than my trip to date. I had gone to visit the Cathedral in the morning, and walking back to Claire's flat I wasn't concentrating and walked right past it. After about 10 minutes I began to realize I had gone too far and backtracked till I found it. This meant I missed my train which impacted on my carefully planned route. Nevertheless I eventually arrived at Kensal Green Station and Gareth kindly picked me up. After I good night's rest and some advice from Claire and Julie-Anne I planned my day in London.

Once I found my bearings in Trafalgar Square and remembering that South Africa House was nearby I decided to hop on one of those hop-on-hop-off tour buses. It proved to be a good decision. I could hop on and off any of their city tour buses as often as I liked for the rest of the day as well as take a short cruise on the Thames.

Now I knew I did not have time to actually go into too many of the places I wanted to see, and as tickets are up to $18 to visit some of these places it wasn't worth it if you only had half an hour to spare. So I "did" the city, stopping at Houses of Parliament, St Paul's, the Tate Modern, walked over Tower Bridge, London Tower, St Katherine's docks, the new Globe theatre, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, and Marble Arch. I also cruised the river from Tower Bridge up to Westminster. I then finally left the bus at Marylebone, and walked back down Baker St, along Oxford street stopping and shopping and Marks and Spencers, Selfridges, and a few lessor name shoppes. I finally had a drink in a city pub before climbing back in the tram at Oxford Circus and zooting back to Kensal Green.

I think Tower Bridge was the best thing for me. It epitomizes London for me. I also like St Paul's, Big Ben, and the river. It looked dirtier than the Manawatu.

I felt like I was somewhere between a Monopoly board game and the lyrics of so many famous songs.

I was impressed with London, the masses of people, all with money to spend. Everywhere I went there were tourists, far more than locals. I have never heard so many foreign languages spoken, most of them from the middle east and eastern Europe.

People say that London is expensive, but that sits OK if you live there you earn a lot. And recently in New Zealand the media has been comparing prices and saying that goods in New Zealand are as expensive as places like London, but our incomes are lower. Well I peered in many real estate and employment agency windows, and quickly came to the conclusion that the average kiwi is earning more and paying less than the average Londoner. Salaries for low end professionals are quite low, and housing prices are exorbitant, even more than Auckland. iPad developers are being paid up to #400 per day however. I like it when I make a good call.

I feel I have experienced so much and being able to describe so little. But If I don't blog short and sweet, you will never get to read anything while you wait for my perfect articulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment