Sunday, September 4, 2011

Flight footnote

[These next few posts are somewhat delayed - once I got to China I was no longer allowed access to a number of websites including Blogger/Blogspot and Picasa Web for the photos. It has taken a while to circumvent the "Great Firewall of China". Now that I have done so, I have some catching up to do.]

I had a good flight, and I am now comfortable ensconced in my hotel in Narita. Getting a window seat is key for me, as I can cocoon myself against the wall, with my neck pillow, and head phones. I watched three movies, built a website (sorry it's been so slow LW), and wrote a blog post.

I joined Koru club just before I left as my Gold membership had expired. Not quite as good and pretty expensive, but by the time I've costed in the free meals, airport internet and reduced baggage charges it is half paid for. The rest of the cost can be put against pure convenience, quicker check-in, and priority service all around. And if my flights are ever delayed the sanctity of the lounge will be well worth it. You also get priority re-booking. And my year's subscription should see me through to my dream trip through Europe next year. But let's get through this one first, aye.

I like flying Air New Zealand too. No dramas with the bike (never again Malaysia Airlines). And the food was superb. I mean really, really good.

First impressions of Japan are amazing. I previously wrote in this blog that "London is intoxicating". Well, I have to say that Japan is sublime. I might just stay here, everyone is so polite. I wish people the world over would treat strangers with such respect. And then there is Sapporo beer. Somewhat stronger than the the old EnZed brown. Not to mention heated toilet seats, and rather sensible electronically managed toilet sanitation techniques. I have rarely felt happier.

On my way back from Cairns I had promised myself that this trip would be my last for a while. But like all good trips, they seem to be addictive. Hi, my name is Jack, and I am on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment